The proposed North Brookfield Rail Trail is a 4.2 mile spur line that ran from the still active tracks in East Brookfield, behind the old shoe factory, to the depot in North Brookfield on Elm Street. The railroad was built in the summer of 1875. Passenger service was discontinued on December 31, 1935. The only stations were at North Brookfield and East Brookfield. The ROW is owned by the Town of North Brookfield.
5/30/2018: Selectmen stating their intent to reconstitute the Rail Trail Committee and send a letter to railroad right-of-way abutters giving them 30 days to remove any structures and abandon any activities encroaching on railroad property. Brush clearing on the ROW started in June.